Canterbury Muslim Cultural Centre
Address: The Markaz, 1 Giles Lane, Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom, CT2 7LT
Job Description: Imam
Salary: £28,000 – £30,000 per annum
Closing Date: 17th of November
Reporting: Chairman and Executive Committee Board Member
Location: 1 Giles Lane, Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom, CT2 7LT
Brief Job Outline: The Canterbury Muslim Cultural Centre (CMCC) seeks to appoint an Imam for the Centre to take a leading part on religious, community and educational affairs of the Centre. The main purpose of the post is to provide Islamic religious guidance and establish a unified Muslim community in Canterbury and act as a community leader according to the Quran and the Sunnah of the Last Prophet Mohammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).
CMCC is a focus for the Muslim communities in and around Canterbury, Whitstable, Chartham and Herne Bay as well as surrounding areas up to 13 miles within Canterbury. It functions as a place of worship and provides a wide range of Socio-educational activities. The ideal candidate will be required to raise the profile of both the Centre and the Muslim communities served by this Organization. The Imam will be expected to be an active member of the Board and act as spiritual guide and representative of the congregation. There is an expectation on the Imam to establish themselves by leading Islamic activities and worship as well as to generate new ideas and initiatives. The Imam will be expected to facilitate a variety of activities and events to promote religious awareness and Islamic values among Adults, Youth and the wider community.
Working together with the Board of Executive Committee and Trustees, the right candidate will show maturity, patience and a commitment to the overall objectives of CMCC. There shall be potential for training, growth and development in this post, provided the selected candidate shows reasonable competence, willingness and motivation to advance. The post is offered subject to satisfactory enhanced disclosure of Disclosure and Barring Service checks, eligibility to work in the UK and references.
• To spiritually lead the diverse congregation at CMCC.
• To support and assist the diverse congregation of CMCC on spiritual and community matters.
• To support and assist the CMCC Board in establishing and maintaining CMCC as a ‘model Islamic Centre’.
To lead the prayers (including Jumuah, Eid and Taraweeh prayers) including but not limited to:
• 5 congregational daily prayers.
• Funeral prayers (Janazah).
• Ancillary night prayers during the month of Ramadan (Taraweeh, etc).
• Celebration prayers (Eid el Fitr, Eid el Adha).
• Optionally, committed to Tarwaeeh prayer, this might reflect on the salary starting point.
• To teach and translate Quran, Hadith, Fiqh.
• To teach short courses in Islamic Sciences, Shariah and other relevant subjects.
• To facilitate visits from local schools and non-Muslim institutions.
• To establish and maintain regular Islamic circle groups (halaqa).
• To support the men, women and youth programmes in conjunction with the relevant sub-committees.
• To respond to enquiries and debates about Islamic matters with proofs from Al
Quran and the Sunnah.
• To hold ‘surgeries’ for the public to access advice and counselling.
• To hold marriage counselling sessions for couples before and after marriages
• To solemnise marriages (nikah), shahadahs, aqeqah and funerals.
• To have experience with non-Muslims (using hikma in approach).
• To understand and deal with first and second generation Muslim issues.
• To have knowledge and awareness of cultural differences when dealing with the
international Muslim community.
• To represent CMCC in a professional and ethical manner at all times.
• To provide an interface with inter-faith and public organisations (schools, police,
• To be aware of CMCC’s public profile and to seek opportunities to attend
conferences, training, seminars or other external events that would provide
attendees with intelligence about CMCC work.
• To ensure all reporting and management requests from the CMCC Board are
delivered on time and accurately.